The Alocasia - Black Velvet is a tropical house plant that thrives best in indoor climates. If you're interested in plants for a smaller terrarium, this plant will work great.
Plant Care Guide for Alocasia Black Velvet:
- Water your Black Velvet Alocasia plant thoroughly, allowing the top 2-3 inches of soil to dry out between watering sessions.
- Use room temperature water and avoid overwatering, as this can lead to root rot.
- Increase watering during the growing season in spring and summer, and reduce in the dormant season in fall and winter.
- Place your Black Velvet Alocasia plant in bright, indirect light, avoiding direct sunlight.
- Provide some morning or evening sun, but avoid exposing the plant to strong midday sunlight, as this can scorch the leaves.
- Black Velvet Alocasia plants prefer temperatures between 65-80°F (18-27°C).
- Protect the plant from cold drafts, as temperatures below 60°F (15°C) can cause leaf drop.
- Black Velvet Alocasia plants prefer high humidity levels between 60-80%.
- Increase humidity by using a humidifier, placing a tray of water near the plant, or grouping it with other plants.
- Use a well-draining soil mix consisting of equal parts of peat moss, perlite, and sand.
- Repot the plant every 1-2 years to prevent the roots from becoming pot-bound.
- Black Velvet Alocasia plants are toxic if ingested, so keep them away from children and pets.
By following these care tips, your Black Velvet Alocasia plant can thrive and produce its unique and beautiful foliage.